Nursing home abuse is surprisingly common and can be the cause of physical or emotional harm to the elderly in care. If you suspect your loved one may be suffering abuse, you have options. Following these steps and speaking with a trusted San Diego personal injury lawyer can help you get justice for your loved ones.
Look for the Signs
The signs of nursing home abuse can be observed if you know where to look. Consider visiting your loved ones in elderly care and speaking to them personally about their experience. You should be able to detect some of the following sings of abuse or neglect:
- Unexplained or dramatic mood shifts
- Signs of physical abuse, such as cuts, lacerations, bruises, or broken bones
- An avoidance of discussing their emotions
- Social isolation
- Physical restraints
Some indicators of abuse, especially the physical signs, are easier to detect. Consider asking your loved one to speak with a licensed counselor if you are unsure about dealing with aspects of emotional abuse.
Document your Findings
In the event you do find evidence of physical or emotional abuse, be sure to document it. Thoroughly documented evidence could be the difference-maker in any lawsuit you might pursue related to the elderly abuse of your loved one. Some ways you might consider documenting could be:
- Obtaining your loved one’s nursing home and medical records
- Photographing indicators of abuse in your loved one surroundings or on their body
- Getting statements from witnesses, including other residents, visiting family members, or other employees of the facility
Hire a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Partnering with a San Diego nursing home abuse attorney is the most certain way of proving nursing home abuse. The legal team at The Kindley Firm, APC, has the legal experience to get justice for your loved one while you focus on making sure they’re safe.
Wondering how to prove nursing home abuse? Contact a San Diego nursing home abuse attorney at 619-550-1313 for a free consultation.