Abuse of the disabled, elderly, and infirm is on the rise. Unfortunately, most of this population cannot speak and/or fight for themselves. They are all too often the innocent victims of corporate greed, neglect, isolation, abuse, and violation of patient rights.
Our legislators enacted Health & Safety Code Section 1430 to deter understaffing of Skilled Nursing Facilities and to deter the Violation of other rights enumerated within Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations. It is important that your attorneys have experience and knowledge in this statutory area.
Unfortunately, most nursing home injuries are the result of business decisions made by corporations that make hundreds of millions of dollars each year off of retirement funds and tax payer dollars. These decisions place the corporations’ profits ahead of the care of the elderly and infirm that pay good money for the care they never get.
Examples of Common Patient Rights Violations include:
1. Failing to provide sufficient numbers of staff. State law establishes that a facility must meet certain statutory minimums. Understaffing is often evidenced by the facilities failure to answer a patients call lights.
2. Failing to provide quality care.
3. Failing to provide proper nursing services.
4. Abandoning the patient.
5. Isolating the patient.
6. Failing to treat the patient with dignity or respect.
7. Failing to ensure the patient was not subjected to acts of abuse or neglect as those terms are defined under Welfare and Institutions Code.
8. Administering unnecessary psychotropic mediations.
Our lawyers have seen many forms of elder abuse, neglect and violation of patient’s rights through the years. We have years of experience handling a wide variety of elder abuse and elder neglect cases. We will help you obtain justice on many fronts whether it be through complaints to the appropriate governmental agencies or through civil proceedings.
If you or a loved one has been subjected to abuse, neglect or violation of patient rights, please contact our personal injury attorneys for a free case consultation.
Call Today! 619-550-1313